Last year I went down to the big sandstone ledges at our beach and found deep crusty layers of sea salt that had formed over the summer. With a scraping tool (pottery trimming tool) I gouged out a little bag full of crystals and was pleased as punched to have harvested such a unique crop. The salt required a little going through. There were bits of shell, little tiny crabs and lots of dried out plant remains. It also smelled a little low tide - which is not fully objectionable, but I dedicated the salt to use in stocks only. Until today.
Inspired by an Italian herb salt I once bought, I decided to make some of that tasty goodness myself. The label on the Italian salt listed garlic, rosemary and sage with some pepper. I wanted this salt to be fully from Hornby and as of yet I have not grown pepper corn plants, so I added the garlic, rosemary and sage all found in our garden. A bit of a whir, crack and spin with the Braun hand mixer and I ended up with a superior salt that is fit for any fine meat, pasta, vegetable... popcorn....
Chances of my finding salt this summer are - well - none. If it ever stops raining and if the sun ever shines I'll be down there with my bag and scraper. In the meantime, I'll use this culinary treasure sparingly and share only with ... well... whoever proves to be a salt lover!

3 comments:
Rachelle- if you want sun come to Ontario. We are sick of it. Temp. around 35C to 40 C with a humidity index of 42 to 49C.We hit the 49C last Thurs. but it is still brutely warm and no rain in sight until Mon. So, let the rain come east and we will let the sun go west. "deal"
A.Anne
Michael LOVES salt and I just love anything you make.
xx P.
Ok, you're all invited for a salt jamboree!
Post a Comment