Mar 20, 2007

Minor Setback in House Construction

Meh! Damn unions and their quest for fair labour practices. The day our roofing order got submitted the factory workers went on strike! I had Wayne, our consultant, all lined up, and our good friend Aaron Nelson was going to come up with us two weekends from now and we were going to install the skylights and roofing.

The woman that I ordered the roofing from was thinking it was only going to be a short strike. She suggested a couple of weeks, but its enough to put us off and behind schedule.

Yesterday I told my bosses that I was moving to Hornby permanently. That all went fairly well. There was even talk of me doing some contract work. We'll see how that shakes out. I had become totally prepared to chop wood, do some kayak guiding, hump cement and lumber, and run tree branches through a chipper for a living. Now I have to look deep and figure out if staying in high tech is what I actually want. It's always nice to have the options, tho.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! It is nice to have some options and I know you will come out on top with a good life ahead. Good luck. Sarge

The Clements said...

Maaan that stinks! What timing! That should crank the stress up a notch. Hopefully the strike is short & sweet.

Honestly, being geographically challenged, I didn't realize the move to Hornby meant a resignation for you. I say hold on to the contract work. What more could you ask for? Working when you want, at the pace you want (within reason), on your own terms. And still reaping the financial rewards (assuming it pays more than, what did you call it again, humping cement??? I'm not gonna ask...).

Whatever you decide, the fact still remains that YOU ARE BUILDING YOUR OWN HOME WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!! Sorry, I just can't get over how amazing that is.

Good luck ~ Jill

Unknown said...

Happy and excited for both you and Rachelle! I feel blessed at times to be able to draw inspiration from friends like yourself-determination, courage, and perseverance. Best of luck and many days of laughters, good life, and red wine ahead.

Ted Brunt said...

Retire from tech.

Running a chipper is way cooler and better for you.

Unknown said...

Thanks, everyone, for all the great comments and encouragement. It means a lot and really helps to keep us whipped up about this move.

Siobhan Chinnery said...

Considering the project you're undertaking, this little setback is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. It just allows you more time to rethink and second guess decisions you've made on the rest of the project.
Just remember, once you get into hauling cement and chipping wood etc. It won't be long until your like me, unable to type because of the condition known as " sausage fingers"
Either way, you two are the most resourceful people I know and I am confident you will make out just fine.

Keep up the awesome work.